Equiv £22.50 (Save £0.00)
A return to the magical 1930s style of classic Ripasso from Verona’s leading exponent of Valpolicella Ripasso, Amarone and Recioto wines.
As one the great powerhouses of Verona, Bertani have been instrumental in the upsurge of interest in the Ripasso style of Valpolicella, producing, rich, luxurious wines that build on the fresh elegant style of the region without reaching the heady, dizzying, weights of great Amarone.
This project is nothing less than the re-production of a Secco-Bertani wine according to the recipe, style and taste of a bygone age, even down to the original 1930s packaging design. The vintage style bottle, a reproduction of the original 1930s label, the short tin capsule, and the 6-bottle case in wood make this a beautiful proposition, and that’s even before you taste the incredibly fine wine.
The original recipe calls for the wine to be produced from 80% Corvina grapes, grown in the prime hillside sites some 250 metres above the valley floor. The remaining 20% of the blend is a combination of 10% Sangiovese Grosso, 5% Syrah and 5% Cabernet. Just as at the turn of the 20th century no oak us used, rather there is 12 maturation months in large cherry and chestnut oak casks. Remember, Ripasso is the art of re-fermenting the wine on Amarone grapes once they have completed their fermentation – resulting in a unique balance of freshness and intensity.
The resulting wine has that classic dark ruby core, so typical of fresh young Ripasso and Amarone wines. Not unsurprisingly the nose is a riot of cherry, dried herbs and plum leading to the classic sour cherry hit followed by a finish of cocoa, coffee and smoky old vine complexity. A wonderfully elegant and hedonistic style of Valpollicella Ripasso, this will age in bottle for 4-5 more years, though it is worth noting that it is already delicious.
Also, in celebration of the 1930s, Bertani have commissioned a re-run ofthe traditional case design used in Italy during the interwar years, adding just a touch more style the wine.